Georgia Steele
4125 Welcome All Road
Atlanta GA 30349
Phone: 1-855-406-5221

Customer Service
What is needed to replace a missing or damaged title?
Vehicles purchased on or after March 1, 2013 and titled in this state will be exempt from sales and use tax and the annual ad valorem tax. Instead, these vehicles will be subject to a new, one-time title ad valorem tax that is based on the value of the vehicle.

More information on the Title Ad Valorem Tax fee is available at

1) A completed and signed  Form MV-1 Title/Tag Application.
a) A replacement title  cannot  be issued in a deceased person's name. In this case, comply with the requirements for obtaining a title after inheritance.
b) If your name has changed since the title was issued, complete the application in your  new  name and attach a certified copy of the legal court document authorizing the name change, i.e. certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree or other court document.
c) If the missing or damaged Georgia title was  assigned  to you instead of issued in your name, the record owner, as shown on face of title and on the vehicle' current title record, must apply for the replacement title.
2) An original  Form T-4 Lien or Security Interest Release from each lien or security interest holder recorded on the original title that has now been satisfied or paid.
a) Do  not  record satisfied or paid lien or security interest information on the application.
b) Do record new or unsatisfied security interest information in the order perfected.
Important:  If your financial institution released their interest in your vehicle on the vehicle's title and you did  not  apply for a clear title, then the lien or security interest is still recorded on the state's title records and a new release is required.

c) Except for liens and security interests recorded on Georgia titles for mobile homes, cranes and vehicles weighing more than 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight, any lien or security interest recorded on a Georgia title for ten-years (10) from the title's issue date shall be considered satisfied and a release shall not be required.
3) The mutilated (damaged) title, when applicable.
4) $8.00 replacement title fee.
A replacement title can be issued 'free' if the original title was lost in the mail prior to the  owner's receipt  , provided the owner applies for a replacement title  within sixty (60) days of the title's issue date  and attaches a completed Form T-216, Title Not Received in the Mail Affidavit to their completed Form MV-1, MVD Title/Tag Application.